Becoming A Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
A registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) is a food and nutrition expert who has met certain academic and professional requirements. To become an RDN, you must:
- Earn a minimum of.a bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
- Complete the required dietetics coursework at a program that has been accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND).
- Obtain a verification statement. All students who plan to apply to an ACEND-accredited supervised practice program / dietetic internship, a Future Practice Model Program, or a Coordinated Program must have a verification statement that stipulates that the student has completed the program issuing the verification statement's required coursework.
- Apply and complete an ACEND-accredited supervised practice program / dietetic internship after completing all prerequisite dietetics coursework.
- Complete and pass a national registration examination given by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). Beginning January 1, 2024, students must have earned a master's degree in order to sit for the RDN exam.
For more information on pathways to earn the RDN credential: https://www.cdrnet.org/certifications/registration-eligibility-requirements-for-dietitians